Friday, September 23, 2011

The Wedding that Was

Today I'm playing along with Shelley over at My Shoebox Life about weddings.

'Cos she's about to be a bride. And I remember that feeling. And it was awesome.

I stupidly got married in the middle of uni exam week four years ago, and therefore never got to take off any time beforehand to just chill... like Penny did... and as such, it went way too fast.

I hand-made all my invitations, scored my dress for a bargain $150, borrowed my veil and used clip-on vintage earrings to decorate my shoes. I did my wedding my way and it was the best thing I ever did.

I walked down the aisle to Jimmy Eat World, played punk music for my mingling guests and boogied on the dance floor to the Wu-Tang Clan.

I made my own bouquet.

I reserved the right to do things I wouldn't remember doing later, nor why I would do them.

I made my sister my Maid of Honour, even though she's hotter than me.


I listened to the whims of my incredibly talented photographer and was glad I did.


My dad walked me down the aisle, and then I filmed a Macleans ad. Ok that was a lie.

I had a cathedral-length veil for a backyard wedding. Oh yes I did.

I annoyed the celebrant by only having one chair at the signing table. I also annoyed him by changing my vows to "I do", not "I will". I also did not tell my husband to do this... he just did.


I had two dresses, just because.

I loved my wedding day. I married an incredible man and we've made an incredible life. I had the best ladies' night before, and a day that was without fault.

Except my 18-year-old brother didn't get drunk and dance to The Thong Song like he did at my sister's wedding. I'm not sure I'll ever get over the disappointment.

It topped off a beautiful romance, a quirky, thoughtful and totally amazing proposal, and started a lifetime of love.

Which is exactly what I wish Shelley. All the best, gorgeous.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, every wedding post is just as gorgeous as the last!! And I love that you did it your way. And looked absolutely gorgeous and stunning and happy! I could go on and on...but I just love your story. Thanks so much for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you did your wedding YOUR way. Fuck traditional if it isn't "you".
    You looked FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my regrets is not having a veil. Weddings are very personal things and I have to agree with Miss Pink ;o)

    Fabulous doesn't cover it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That has to be the best $150 wedding dress I've seen - you are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow its all looks so amazing and beautiful!

    Love love the gloved attitude face!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg. I just read this post - that you wrote in September ... how is it you were not in my blogroll? I am SO SORRY.

    I cried at how beautiful you are, Madman. I feel so proud of you - weird, huh?!

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete