Friday, August 19, 2011

Ramblings: The Teen Crush Edition

I am watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure right now, and tweeting my progress (we are in danger of failing most heinously, dude). Up pops 1xmum drooling over Keanu Reeves (understandable) and saying that he was a childhood crush she would most definitely meet in a dark alley one night these days.

Same.

But it got me thinking... about my teen crushes. I was a teen from 1993 - 2000, and those years were PRIME for the teen heartthrob. I'm sorry Justin Beaver, before you were born, there were way cute dudes mispronouncing Beethoven. Here they are, in random order:

 Chris Pettiet. Otherwise known as the kid from Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead. Not only was he really cute, but he stole money to buy his girlfriend a diamond ring. It may have been "just a chip!" but I totally would have let him buy me one.  Preferably after we'd pashed for half an hour.

 THE existential question of my teenhood - Brandon or Dylan? Good vs Bad, leather jacket vs denim, similar haircut vs similar haircut. Do you know to this day, I still don't know who I'd choose?

 Ethan Hawke. There was a little scene in Reality Bites where they're all dancing to My Sharona in a 7-11 and when the clerk looks at him he just does a little bored, rushed, cynical smile. My soul died every time he did. Oh and he could define irony. I was in love.

 Edward Furlong. First ever teen crush. He was so full of bad attitude and crazy hair in Terminator 2, I thought the world would end if we didn't marry. My bedroom walls were covered in posters, and my diary was covered in thoughts of him. Exhibit A:

PDA! PDA!


Exhibit B:



Helpfully found in this:


 Jeremy and/or Jason London. Either one. I'm not fussy. Mallrats, dazed and confused... one of them was married to Neve Campbell in Party of Five for a bit. Now sadly one of them is crazy and tells people he was kidnapped and ordered to smoke weed. A likely story.

 Ohhh Jonathan Brandis. You spent a lot of the '90s on my mind. I used to go to gymnastics class and pretend he was watching and whoever was the best at class that day would get to go on a date with him. In my head I always won.
 I don't think I ever watched anything Leonardo di Caprio was in, but I sure enjoyed the TV hits magazine posters, yessiree bob.
 Skeet Ulrich, I had a crush on you even though I couldn't tell you anything you were ever in or how to pronounce your name. Was it the same as Lars Ulrich from Metallica? Who knew?
Usher made ME wanna leave the one I'm with and start a new relationship with you this is what you doooo...

Ok I've spilled. Who have I forgotten? Who did you write about in your diary? Who would you still do now?

7 comments:

  1. I was completely nuts for Christian Slater. I watched everything he was in - even the crap stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so like the stuff that takes place at my house...in fact on Lydia's 20th birthday we did a whole "crush" theme. Shared a crush she had for each year. Here's the link to the post that I wrote about it.
    http://honeyholden.blogspot.com/2011/07/end-of-era.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan Hawke all the way. The establishment owed him a Snickers, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh. Corey Haim. Worst actor that was... but boy was he good looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also I did not know Jeremy London had an identical twin brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am ashamed to say that I went to see Cocktail (with Tom Cruise) three times! And I think I was a bit older than a teen too.

    Don't worry. I dumped him soon after that:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I wonder if we're kind of the same age?
    This post is hilarious.
    When I was 11, I wrote a love letter to some actor on Home & Away, who I asked to marry me. He didn't reply. Totally devo.
    I was obsessed with New Kids On The Block :)

    ReplyDelete