Sunday, August 28, 2011

My Style File

I was walking along recently, looking at my feet, and realised: these shoes are me. I am these shoes. If I were to pick a piece of apparel that summed me up, it would be them. So I got to thinking - what else is my "uniform"? sure I can rock a pair of heels when needed, or a very fabulous dress for a night out, but they're not what encapsulates what I'm about.



These shoes are what I'm about. Sneakers. Whether Converse, Vans, Macbeths... any kind of funky sneaker is going to be on my feet. I wear them with dresses, pants or shorts and I'm not fussy. I will MAKE it work. It's sad that I live in such a hot climate, so wear flip-flops most of the time, but as soon as the weather cools, these things go back on my feet.


Cutoff denim shorts. It may be very Huck Finn, but I can be found in these pretty much all summer, spring and autumn. Winter changes these to tights or leggings (yes, I'm one of THOSE PEOPLE who wear tights as pants)... but for as long as I can get away with, I'm wearing them. I made these ones about six years ago with a pair of $30 Jay Jays jeans. They are now my favourite pair and I get sad when they're in the wash. That's when I hang off my closet doors and moan "but I've got nothing to weaaarrrrr!". When I was heavily pregnant and had to put them away for a while, I made a pair of maternity cutoffs. True story.


Funky bangles. They can make such a difference to an outfit. This one is my current favourite - I saw a  fellow Instagrammer post this in my feed and I commented underneath I needed to own it. Two weeks and $40 later, this pretty little thing turned up on my doorstep. It is made of buffalo horn, and lovingly etched by the very talented Tenille at Eels Jewellery. At first I was all like "uh I can't wear buffalo horn!", but Tenille explained she used these products in her work because she preferred working with organic, sustainable, recycled and biodegradable materials rather than petro-based plastics and resins. The horn is recycled after the buffalo dies naturally.

Sold.

I have tried so many different hairstyles in my life. Short bobs were my go-to style during high school. Including one memorable disaster just after I'd started a new school, which rendered me an outcast on my second day. My hair is wavy and completely unmanageable and unbrushable in its natural state - it becomes a mass of dried frizz and is hideous to look at. I can't do bangs because of this and because my forehead is too small so I have to use more hair. I'll never have the silky-straight Asian hair I covet, so I just run with what I've got - long and messy. Believe it or not, it's much easier for me to style when it's like this. I usually wash, braid and sleep. Next morning I control the GROSSNESS with a run-over of the GHD and add a little curl. I've made my peace with the fact I'll never be a wash-and-go gal.


Crazy earrings. Big and dangly. Otherwise they get lost in my mop. These were $5 from K-Mart. My style is also Bargain.


Unusual rings. I have teapots, cupcakes, owls, vintage emeralds - anything I can find that catches my eye. Again, a $5 find from Diva.


Socks, stripes and Hello Kitty. All in one item. A gift from a friend who went to Japan.



Hair accessories. I love headbands, barrettes, bobbles on my elastics, everything. Though most days you'll just find this black bow from Diva.


 Roomy, yet semi-fitted tops. I like to hide the E-cups and I like to be comfortable. Anything too structured draws attention to my Lego-man shoulders and I cannot stand anything that hugs my armpits.

Vintage watches. Vintage anything, really - brooches, purses, handbags... I love them all. This was a gift from my beloved on our wedding day. It made me cry and ruined my makeup. At least it drew attention away from my boobs...

So what do you like to wear? What is your uniform? What is that one thing that encapsulates YOU?

9 comments:

  1. I love this glimpse in to your style. Maternity cut-offs - I love that especially. I may use this post as inspiration & do one similar of my own. I adore your hair & love that have got to the point where you know what's "you". You're rockin'! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing? Not sure I could name just one thing. But I'd say A line skirts and singlet tops. Come Summer it's just about all I wear.

    And bird jewellery. Necklaces in particular. Love them.

    I love the bangle BTW.... think I may have to investigate them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your style, it's comfy & easy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm working the cons, the cut-offs, and the earrings, but I'm headed to your place to get my hands on the rings and that watch... If only I could also snaffle the boobies and THAT HAIR!!! Hair envy. Major.
    x
    Andrea @FoxinFlats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I have major hair envy too!! I do have the exact same pair of converse, love them. You look great, a part of that of course, is your gorgeous soul which always shines through x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. You are so funky! I want your hair, so luscious!

    Mine would be Connies too or a funky t-shirt. I'm loving jeans and a shirt right now - comfort plus!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, we dress *exactly* the same. Like eerily.

    Found you last night on Twitter on a list of veg mamas. =) Hi!

    ReplyDelete