Friday, September 16, 2011

When the waiter is rude.

Do you say something? When the waiter is rude, the cashier is snappy or your barista is nasty?

I don't. At least I can't remember when I have. But I'd sure like to.

Recently I was reading over my old blog (2009 represent!) and I came across this post I wrote, after at least the tenth time a lady working at my university coffee shop made the whole experience awkward and awful. And it reminded me of a time when I saw Miss Edenland do something I always wish I had the guts to do...



I’m a little bit of a chicken. And by little bit, I mean huge. 
Occasionally, I go to a cafe on campus to buy coffee (cos that’s what collegiates do, apparently), and the same woman serves me nearly every time. The exchange goes a little something like this: 

Act 1, Scene 1 

It is a bright, sunshiny day. Captain is feeling pleasant and motivated to write. All is well with the world. She steps up to the cafe counter to be served. 
INCREDIBLY SCRAWNY OLD BIRDLIKE WOMAN WEARING RED LIPSTICK: (silence, staring at Captain) 

CAPTAIN: Hi 

INCREDIBLY SCRAWNY OLD BIRDLIKE WOMAN WEARING RED LIPSTICK: (still silent, still staring) 

CAPTAIN: .....Can I have large flat white please? 

Incredibly scrawny old birdlike woman wearing red lipstick holds out her hand, completely silent. 

Money exchanges hands, Incredibly scrawny old birdlike woman wearing red lipstick hands Captain her order number. 

Incredibly scrawny old birdlike woman wearing red lipstick disappears into the caverns of the cafe. 
CAPTAIN: (To no-one) Uh, thanks? 

Captain walks off feeling dejected. 

Every time this happens I want to stare back, completely silent also, hopefully forcing her to actually speak to me first. 

And although I hate this repeated exchange, and feel slightly rejected by the silent food service worker, I never say or do anything about it. Such is the way of the nerd. 

2 comments:

  1. SCHWING! Holy shit I can't believe you saw that ... that waitress was probably tired and annoyed, and she most definitely assumed I was drunk. Which I wasn't, at all. And it was a fucken SHOVE, man.

    When I was a kid, I never ever stood up for myself. Not once. I had the most timid, meek voice. So coming into my early twenties I shamed the shamers and shouted the shouters. Like, it was my job. I will always do it ... and I love how you noticed.

    Thank you for the mention, beautiful Veg. My week has been, um, fascinating.

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder Eden is my hero. I would probably just give someone a long deadly stare, which may or may not terrify them. Saying something? Now THAT is a novelty...!

    ReplyDelete